Saturday, September 8, 2012

Rotten - 86

Hello and Welcome.

Day 86 of my 365 Day Photography Journey.

Last year we unintentionally planted several pumpkin plants. Have you done this before? Instead of throwing the pumpkin in the trash you use it to nourish the soil, using the traditional method of course. The pumpkin smashing method. Through it up high and let gravity do it's job. You're left with a master piece of destruction and debris, which is hopefully already in it's final resting place. In my case, was a flower bed which works anyways because my dog, Prince, likes to lay on top of the flowers in the summer, because it's cool. Well this spring I started to see little sprouts of something coming up. The plant began to grow and soon I could tell they were pumpkin plants. I was excited, I had planted the flower garden without doing anything and secondly we'd have our own home grown pumpkins for the fall. Please note if you carve your pumpkin and remove the seeds, this won't happen for you.



In spite of my efforts to fertilize them and help them develop, I only received three pumpkins. Of the three pumpkins only two looked like normal pumpkins. The third look like an orange pepper. I'm sorry I didn't get any photos. I picked the pumpkins when the plant died, which was about mid summer. The picture below reflects what was a very cut, nicely shaped pumpkin, that didn't make it to fall.


Apparently if you want pumpkins for the fall you should plant them in the summer and not the year before.

Well on a positive note, I don't have to carve my pumpkin, it already looks scary!

Make a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment