Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Working in the shop

Today was a wood & metal working day. My fiance, after a trip to Hobby Lobby, saw an aged wood frame there and thought I should make them for my photos. She has such great ideas when it comes to things for me to do, but then don't most women have great ideas for their men. I kid, sorta. She has great ideas. We have this pile of wood in the backyard which came from a blown over privacy fence.

 I was waiting for a family get together to burn it but my fiance found a better and more profitable use for it. Yes, aged wood frames out of the pile of the old wood fencing. So today I spent it building a basic frame, all the time thinking, if I had this jigged out, it would go so much faster. The process involves ripping the fence boards, notching the wood with a dado blade, cornering the frame and then gluing it together. I'd like to thank my grandfather David McCash for the frame jigs that I kept for so long never once using them until now. Never get rid of tools! I'm sure that's a rule somewhere.


Surprisingly, my first frame turned out well but a little off on the width, by about a 1/4 inch. Over all I was very pleased with the outcome. When I paired it with a print, it really hit home.


While I waited on the glue I was able to hammer out a few more sizes of my daughter-n-laws ring.


This started out as a 1964 JFK silver half dollar. It will finish as a thumb ring.

My fiance just messaged me, and is on her way home. Talk with you later.

1 comment:

  1. The frame looks amazing! Even better than the one at Hobby Lobby :)
    With love, your "full of great ideas" fiance ;)

    ReplyDelete