Monday, June 18, 2012

Depth of Field

Day 2 of my 365 day photography journey

I was reading today how different lens types have different sweet spots. Some aperture settings provide better quality photos. Today I decided to check my 50mm f/1.4 AF-D Nikon lens. My camera body is a Nikon D90 by the way.

At first, I set up the Panasonic as the subject and changed to my Seagull guitar to better see the depth of field better on the guitar strings. In the picture with the camera you'll see the camera ring in focus but the books staged a little back in the picture are blurry, but I couldn't really tell the depth of field.

50mm, ISO 200, f/2.5, 1/6 sec

I didn't stage this picture for anything apart from testing the lens, so it's not framed properly and not very stylish. I was trying to avoid pulling out my tripod, which I should have done from the beginning. Shot details are: 50mm, ISO 200, f/2.5, 1/6th of a sec shutter speed, approximately 2 feet from the subject. Images taken from f/1.4-2.2 had a slight glow that got better as I stepped down the aperture.

The following picture was taken with a series of about 30 others. I wanted to check picture quality with an object that wasn't so shiny and reflective. I staged the guitar with a little tilt to see the depth of field better on the bridge. The point of focus are the bridge pins and you can see how small the depth of field is being this close to the subject, with only a small portion of the strings being in focus.

50mm, ISO 200, f/4.5, 0.4 sec
Make today great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment