Sunday, July 8, 2012

Bicycles Part 1


Hello!
Day 26 of my 365 Day Photography Journey

Raise your hand if you had a bike as a kid. How old were you? What color was it? Did you start with training wheels? Did it have handle bar tassels? Did your mom or dad run along side as you learned to ride? Did you put playing cards on the forks to make your bike sound cool? Do you remember the first time you solo'd without the training wheels?

One of the first memories I had, if not the first, was at the age of three when riding my tri-cycle. You know the ones: Red in color, running plate connecting the rears wheels, and a big spoked wheel in the front. For real speed, you would put one foot on the back plate and use the other to thrust yourself forward at amazing speeds, at least for a three year old, an jump into the saddle and ride it out, keeping your feet clear of the pedals. The memory that stands out wasn't of me breaking world records at break neck speeds but it was of me building speed and jumping into the saddle only to feel the most excruciating pain in my left bare big toe as it rapped itself between the spokes of the front wheel and the front forks. Yeah! Seriously, I was in my 40's before I couldn't tell by feeling or looking which big toe had been mangled and ripped to shreds that day.

I hope your first memories of riding where much better then mine. Fortunately, it didn't deter me from riding a bike.

My first bicycle was a "hand me down," but not just any "hand me down." This thing would probably be a serious collector for those into that sort of thing. It had a sissy bar about 2 feet over my head standing up, with a hangmens noose in it. I'm to this day not sure what my parents where thinking. Big old chopper handle bars that forced me to reach about a foot above my head. Black as black could be, with stretched forks making the bike about 7 feet long. I like Harleys, but at 7 I wanted something I could jump, race and do tricks with. The only thing I could do with this bike was look like I road for the 12st Biker Gang, youngest member obviously. After several trips to help me get my bike from where I left it laying on the ground at the old dairy farm, because I wrecked, again, from trying to jump it on my monsterous track, and cleaning my wounds, my parents decided to get me a more appropriate bike, unbeknownst to me.

It was my 8th Christmas, all the presents had been opened and our parents asked, okay now that Christmas is over who wants breakfast, while my brother and I look at each other going, "Yay, more socks, cloths and a couple hot wheels." I know, not very grateful? I was 8, it takes a long time to learn gratitude, or at least until ones 9. Then my dad turns to my mom and says, "Wait, isn't there something else? Did we open everything?" Mom then says, "I'm not sure, do you think we left something in the garage?" That was our queue and off we flew. In the garage for me was this beautiful orange racer with purple strips, and big banana seat and racing handle bars with orange and purple tassels. I don't remember what Peter, my brother, got that year.

I was on a bi-cycle just about everyday for the next 12 years of my life. We lived on a cul de sac so riding in the street was allowed, soon going around the block and then "be home for dinner."

As I got older the distances got longer. My friend Joey and I would ride up to Silverwood Lake on our BMX bikes on the weekends, just for fun. A trip of about 25 miles with one gear. Try it sometime.

Bi-cycles have a very memorable place in my heart.

I've been riding this mountain bike since 1996.
The first bicycle was invented in 1817 as more a walking machine. It had no pedals, just a seat and two wheels. Your feet kind of just hung there. It was made entirely of wood.

1865, pedals were added to the front wheel but still made of wood, also known as the "bone shaker," as I'm sure you can see why.

The Big Wheels hit in 1870, costing 6 months salary. All metal with solid rubber tires. The bigger the front wheel, the better pedal to outer circumference wheel ratio, which meant greater distance covered with one rotation. The high forward center of gravity lead to some major spills, which forced improvements.

Eventually they came back to the first designs but made of metal and solid rubber tires.



Bicycling was so popular in the 1880s and 1890s that cyclists formed the League of American Wheelman (still in existence and now called the League of American Bicyclists). The League lobbied for better roads, literally paving the road for the automobile. (See Link Below)

Today we have Road Bikes (Like those ridden in Le Tour de France and my photo below, I'll write about this soon as it's in progress at the moment), BMX (Bicycle Motocross), Mountain Bikes, Beach Cruisers, Low Riders, if you can imagine it, it's probably out there.


You can see bicycles riding on the strand, the boardwalk, down steep mountain faces, across 100+ mile courses, around oval tracks and laying in most every driving-way around the world, especially when dad comes home and tries to park the car in the garage.

The bicycle is hear to stay and comes in all shapes and sizes. Apart from the enjoyment brought from using the bicycle for so many enjoyable activities, it's also a classic piece of a different time. I'd like to thank Ashley for reminding me of this while I was in Paris.


Today's bicycles can say some much about the rider and the creator. I, like Ashley, think they're moving art and remind us of a more simplistic romantic time.

Can the bicycle today, help us bring back some romance and simplicity? Please read the Bicycles Part 2 blog, and let me know what you think.

All the historical information came from the link below.


I hope you enjoyed this blog.

Make a Great Day by being the best you!

History of Bicycles



No comments:

Post a Comment