Monday, July 2, 2012

Pink's, the famous Hot Dog Stand

Hello!

Day 16 of my 365 day photography journey


We decided to remove another item from the bucket list. Pink's the famous hot-dog stand in Los Angeles, located in Hollywood, on La Brea cross of Melrose was the place to do it. Maybe we'd even see a celeb. The line was long an hour long at 8:15 PM on Sunday.

The shadow next to Lee kept his distance from the people in front of him. You know those people. The ones that look like they are going to let someone in when they aren't looking. I'll come back to him later.

Apparently, this stop was a first for several people. Camera's and pictures everywhere.

Parking, clearly in this area has been a problem for the neighboring business. Signs everywhere threatening tows, fines and tickets for non business patrons. I parked next to a cop car hoping to be safe. The cooking area is about 400 square feet but the parking lot covers several lots. With some cars double parked.

With them only cooking hot-dogs and hamburgers you'd think the line would move faster but it doesn't. You order in one area and pay in another. You can tell who can't order properly (No soup for you!), because when they are done there is no one at the pay station, where there is usually 6-8 people waiting.



Someone's been cooking hot dogs since 1939 originally by Paul and Betty Pink. They started with a cart and upgraded to a shack.


This is my favorite image.

The menu has grown since 1939. I ordered the 9" Chili Cheese dog and Guacamole Dog with grilled onions.



The man above is the shadowed figure next to Lee in a previous picture. Do you recognize him? He's a comedian. I recognized him from his voice. His back was to me most of the time, so I never really saw his face until I spoke with him. His name is John Caparula. He's very funny and seems down to earth. I asked him if he was a comedian, he replied, "Yes, my name is John...." I apologized for not remember names, which is a cop-out. He shook our hands and said hello.

It was a great experience to eat at Pink's and a bonus to meet John Caparula, our only celeb seen in LA.

Make a Great Day!!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pIctures! Great story!
    Write more Gary! You write well.

    ReplyDelete