Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Eiffel Tower

Hello!
Day 30 of my 365 Day Photography Journey. Please join me.


After talking about the Tour de France, why not blog about the Eiffel Tower. I know I posted these photos on FB but I didn't blog about them. I told a short story to those who stopped by the house for our Paris recap. I'll tell that story now along with a brief history of the Eiffel Tower.

Planning for a 100 year anniversary of the French Revolution monument began in 1884. From over 300 designs, Gustave Eiffel won with his design. Construction began in 1887 and finished in March of 1889. The monument went up under controversy, like so many of things in Paris. Gustave push the monument as both useful in Radio transmission and Scientific experiments. The lease for the monument was up in 1910 and was almost torn down for it's over 7,300 tons of metal. It was decided it had more use as a radio tower due to it's height at 1050 feet.

It's now arguably one of the most visited monuments in the world at an estimated visitor count of over 250 billion people.


See the beautiful sky? It's only from misreading our invitation that we were able to visit the Eiffel Tower by accident and see it on the most scenic day of our trip.

Lee and I were on the train headed to our dinner engagement, when Lee lifts her head with a start and explains, "We're two hours early." She starts to laugh, "How did I miss that." She then looks up and sees we're getting ready to stop at Trocadero, she turns to me and says, "Quick lets get off here and visit the Eiffel Tower." This all happened in about a 30 second time span. My head was spinning. I said, "Wait. We'll get off at the next exit." We got of the next stop and began to work our way down to the river. We were treated to songs from a sax player as we approached the bridge to cross. As we climbed the steps we saw her off to our left over looking the Seine River, with a beautiful blue sky accented by white billowy clouds. It was perfect.


We didn't know that we'd be treated to such a nice view by getting off after the "best stop" to see the Eiffel Tower. Everything just worked out fabulously. I actually think the best view is with the Seine River in the foreground. I wish I had walked along the river just east of here I could have captured more base of the Eiffel Tower, with the river and several boats in the foreground.


We continued to walk around the tower and the park for the next two hours before getting back on the train.
























The images below were taken on different days from different locations.



















Make a Great Day!

Thank you goes out to Eiffel Tower Facts for the details shared on this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment