Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Did someone say, "Good book?"

Hello!

Day 35 of my 365 Day Photography Journey.

I'm very particular when it comes to reading books. Books need to be flawless, and I don't mean free from typos. I mean the story needs to be solid, consistent and true to it's form. Characters need a personality, depth and a since of believability.

I read to experience whatever the author wanted to share with me. Within the first few pages of a book I can tell how important it was for that author to share with me. Sadly, so many are writing to just make money, which is their right and need. For me to enjoy a book, I need to feel the heart of the author so much, I don't feel as if I'm reading at all. I'm experiencing what the author experienced in their heart and mind. Then so eloquently expresses with a pen that is clearly distinguishable from (I almost inserted the word "Drabble" thinking it to express poorly written word but after a trip to the dictionary, it's clearly not the word I had always thought it to be) a dime store novel, or in today's world mass produced "fiction." J.R.R. Tolkien spent over 20 years writing the Lord of the Ring Series. The words float off the page with poetic and romantic lore. This truly is a master piece of literature.

I enjoy books that make you think, both philosophically and educationally. I like hearing ideas in a non threatening or derogatory manor what someone feels or believes. I like being forced to use the dictionary while reading, not that I'll remember the word's meaning next time. The joys of getting older.

I'm currently reading Ulysses, by James Joyce. Oh my, talk about an exciting challenging read.

Ulysses is a work of fiction that's set in Ireland, over the course of a day. So the challenge is not only the period "English," the Greek and Italian phrasing, but the Irish slang. The characters are true to their nature and draw you in and keep you there.

"He skipped off the gunrest and looked gravely at his watcher, gathering about his legs the loose folds of his gown. The plump shadowed face and sullen oval jowl recalled a prelate, patron of arts in the middle ages. A pleasant smile broke quietly over his lips." Page 4, 1st paragraph.


There's nothing like holding the book you're actually reading. I have a digital reader (if you get one, make sure it's back lit or illuminated), it's just not the same as holding the book. Technology has it's place but it doesn't belong everywhere.

What are you reading right now? Have you added words to your spell checker?

Make a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment